Friday, January 4, 2019

What Love


2 Chronicles 20:17

“I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world.” (NIV)

Imagine walking into a store and getting things you need and getting to the check out, ready to hear the total…
The cashier says, “It has already been taken care of”.

You drive home in awe at the blessing that just happened and stop by the mail box before pulling in your driveway. Shoot. That credit card statement. You don’t even look at the numbers anymore, you just set up automatic payment… but something tells you to open it this time…
It’s a letter from the bank saying your debt has been cleared… All of it.

Wow. This must be a fantasy.

Even though on this physical earth, this may not happen to you, this is what Jesus does for us.

He paid our debt…

He won the victory…

So now we are just walking out this life in a way that pleases Him until we get to eternity.
Jesus tells us, “I went so you didn’t have to”.

Unconditional love. He did it knowing we could never repay, yet He still sacrificed for us.
Love is not doing something with the intention of the action being returned. God loved me before I was even born, and I didn’t give into His relentless pursuit of me until age 26. Any men out there willing to chase a woman for her heart for 26 years? 50? 80? He is up for it.

So, despite what we think we are owed, God loves us regardless because His grace is enough. That is not a free pass to do whatever I want. To me it means, when I mess up, He doesn’t stop working with me. Relationships take work. We all fall short, but just because my spouse might forgive me many times for cheating doesn’t mean I should do it.

Ask yourself some hard questions. Are you following out of love? Do you desire to do your best to make Father proud? He loves us regardless, but boy do I love it when I get stuff right occasionally. He helps me up when I fall. He doesn’t look at me and say “well, you’ve tripped too many times.”
I try to relate the love of God to what we desire out of relationships in general. Our God loves perfectly even when we don’t. Isn’t that amazing?

I pray you ask yourself if you truly believe that Jesus has won the victory and continue claiming that promise over and over when things seem hopeless in this broken world. He is the Healer and He has already won over all your situations. We may not understand His ways (Isaiah 55:9), but we can trust that they are best.

Lord God,
            Please help me to trust you and see things from the eternal perspective. Help me to not try and figure out things with my finite mind. I am so thankful that you are my Father and that you are taking care of me and you will never leave me. Help me to truly understand that I am not alone in this life, and that your love is true, relentless, and unconditional. Help me to desire you and show you that I love you too.
                                                                                                In Jesus’ Name I Pray, Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment