Tuesday, January 8, 2019

Self-care


“Then, because so many people were coming and going that they did not even have a chance to eat, he said to them, ‘Come with me by yourselves to a quiet place and get some rest.’ So they went away by themselves in a boat to a solitary place.” – Mark 6:31-32 NIV

“Very early in the morning, while it was still dark, Jesus got up, left the house and went off to a solitary place, where he prayed.” – Mark 1:35 NIV

Self-care is not the same thing as selfishness. I am still trying to believe this one. I have said many times before, you can’t pour out of an empty cup. Our Jesus Himself had to take moments away. He lived among many in need yet was only able to physically be so many places. 

Have you ever felt even a fraction of the need in this world? The pain? The hurt? God allowed me to feel a very small portion of that ache in the brokenness here on earth, and I could barely handle it. My spirit wanted to be everywhere helping everyone. Even saving all the animals in need of homes…

But the Spirit spoke to my heart and said, “It’s not all your job”. Yet my willing soul wanted to persist that “I have this Jesus, I can do this! It is all mine to fix!” I realized it is not. 

We are the hands and feet, (1 Corinthians 12:27), yet one individual cannot be all the body parts, even if the desire to is there. That’s what makes it the body of Christ. We share each other’s pack… (Galatians 6:2). 

So, when it comes to self-care, only you and God can discern the line between selfishness and self-care. Often times I find if I am burning my fuse at both ends, it takes me longer to recover and I am less useful for the Lord when it gets to that point. Instead, let’s be intentional about doing the things we need to fill us back up. The Word, community, our passions, our family…

It is all something you can bring to the Lord in prayer, and often you will feel God showing and directing you to certain activities, but not overloading. I recommend reading Lisa Terkeurst’s, “The Best Yes”, if you are having some problems balancing your life. It is okay to admit you can’t do it all. We need to be actively seeking the Lord in this matter daily. I find that when I do what the Lord wants, I become filled by it and often get to also do what I want as well, but if not, I figure there is a reason or a later time I might.

Lord God,
Please help me to know what I need to do to stay balanced in this life. I surrender my schedule and my plans to You Lord, because truly my service and life are yours. I know you are looking to use me, help me know when! Help me prioritize without trying to be my own little god. I love You Lord, and I acknowledge that Jesus even took time away to be with You. I ask that You please help me to surrender my schedule to You every morning before I start planning what I want to do. I trust You Lord, help me to show it in my life.
In Jesus’ Name I Pray, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment